Ready to #goto_? Check out our frequently asked questions below that most adventurers want to know prior to travelling. Can’t find what you’re looking for? No problem!

Australia is consistently voted as one of the top 10 best countries to live in every year, so it’s no surprise that it is not only one of the most sought-after holiday destinations, but also a highly coveted place to live and work in.

Working in Australia

In Australia, Health and Safety laws require that if you want to work in certain professions like hospitality and construction, you have to do basic training and become certified. If you want to work in hospitality, you must hold certification known as an RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol). You will also need RGS (Responsible Gambling Services) certification to work in premises with gambling facilities. If you want to work on a construction site, you need to hold an OH&S General Induction Certificate or “White Card” as it’s commonly known.

Full-time employees usually work an average of 38 hours each week. 

First try to have a conversation with your employer to resolve the issue. If this doesn’t help, you can seek help to fix the problem or report your employer at Fair Work.

Finding a Job

Why use a recruitment specialist?

From their expert knowledge to their large network, there are a number of reasons to use a recruitment specialist. If you’re currently looking for a job, and considering using the services of a recruiting specialist. Here’s a list of the main benefits which a recruiter can provide: 

It’s a recruitment specialist’s role to understand your industry lingo, how your particular job works and where your skills would be most suited in potential employment. Since recruitment specialists are so well versed in all of the technical and personal requirements for the roles you are applying for, they will be able to give an accurate evaluation of where your experience and skills would be best utilised, and also provide you with advice on how to remedy any gaps in your knowledge. 

For you as a jobseeker, this means that your specialist recruitment consultant will know of jobs that may not have been advertised, and will be able to ‘float’ your resume to key organisations you want to work with. As a result you may be offered a role that actually didn’t exist.

Partnering with a recruitment specialist means that instead of the individual companies all contacting your referees (which can become time consuming), your specialist recruiter will simply call just the once, and provide the same referral details to each of the prospective employers you apply with.

Since your specialist recruitment consultant works exclusively within your chosen industry, it stands to reason that they will have an in-depth knowledge on the type of salary you can expect from new roles. They can also provide advice on what you need to do in order to secure a higher wage, and in the majority of new work arrangements, your specialist recruitment consultant provides you with an edge by handling the negotiation for you when it comes to your new contract. 

A good specialist recruitment consultant is proactive and will regularly find out well in advance about available roles for you before they are advertised on traditional job boards. This means you will get in first above other candidates to interview and also be exposed to a larger number of available roles to pick and choose from. 

If you’re looking to register your CV with us so that you will be considered for future positions, please complete our short application form here

A candidate is decided to be an ideal fit in an organisation by considering the following: skills, behaviour and cultural attitude.  

A typical GoTo recruiting process is demonstrated below: 

  • Source: Submit your application on our website. 
  • Introduction: Job seekers who have submitted their application online will be contacted by one of our partners in recruitment within 24hrs.
  • Interview/Registration: If your profile fits what our clients are looking for, you’ll be invited to a phone and/or a face-to-face interview with a recruiter to better understand job scope and skills fit. 
  • Job matching: Your consultant will send the CVs of the shortlisted candidates with the best skills and experience to our clients for consideration. 
  • Interview process/feedback: Our clients will request an interview with the short-listed candidates to determine if you’re the right fit for the role. In some circumstances, there will be a number of rounds of interviews.
  • Offer management: If you’ve been selected for the role, you will be presented with a letter of offer from your future employer. You can negotiate the terms of the offer with your future employer (through your consultant) at this point. 
  • Onboarding: Once you’ve signed the letter of offer, you’ll receive more information regarding how to prepare for your first day, either from our recruiters or your future employer. 

Once your application has been submitted you will hear back from a consultant within 48hrs (excluding Saturday & Sunday). 

Your application will be sent to one of GoTo’s partners in recruitment who will be in touch within 24hrs to discuss exciting opportunities they have on offer. From there you will have your own designated consultant managing the entire process. 

At GoTo we shape the world of work by linking people to opportunities most ideal to them by connecting job-seekers with expert recruitment agencies. If you’ve seen the “upload your CV,” button on our website, that’s so we can have give our recruitment partners the best chance of finding opportunities which will enable you to reach your full potential. 

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide the personal information of our partners. That is why we ask you to complete our application form so that we can connect you with the right consultant. If you have a particular question after the services of one of GoTo, you will be able to contact your recruitment consultant directly. 

Every consultant is a specialist within a particular field and the roles they recruit vary depending on the demand for within that field. 

As a candidate, you do not pay for our services. 

Arrival Package

Most of the people who travel to Australia are travelling solo, so you won’t be the only one! GoTo will help you to meet like-minded people who want to get the most out of their travel journey and make connections for life. So you may start off as strangers, but will finish as family! A great reason to join the GoTo community is to meet new and amazing people!

Departures do book out in advance so we recommend you book your travel sooner rather than later. If you’re planning your trip last-minute, no worries! We will do everything we can to help you with your travel arrangements. You can also secure your spot on our program with a non-refundable 20% deposit, the rest just needs to be paid 8-weeks prior to your trip departure date.

Our travellers come from all over the world so unfortunately we don’t include airfare, simply visit flight quote pages like Skyscanner to search, compare and book an airfare. Alternatively, for UK travellers we highly recommend our travel agency partner based in Liverpool Cyllenius Travel Services. Our friends there have over a decade of experience in finding customers the best deals on flights and also offer transport provision to and from the airport.

Booking a spot on our program is easy: select ‘BOOK NOW’ to access the booking form. Enter the details on your booking form along with your credit card details to process your payment. Once submitted you will get a notification to confirm received your booking. We will send you a booking confirmation by the following day.

If you are booking outside of 8 weeks from your departure date, you can pay a 20% deposit to secure your spot on our program. If you are booking a tour inside of 6 weeks from your departure date, the deposit feature will not be available and you must make full payment to confirm your booking.

Your final balance will be due at least 8 weeks before your tour starts. We accept payment via credit card or debit card via our secure booking platform.

GoTo is an Australian based company. All payments are processed in AUD currency. We do our best to promote our program in various currencies so that our customers have a better understanding of the value of our program. The prices we use to promote our program in GBP, AUD, EUR are subject to change at any time.

After you’ve booked, we’ll send you a confirmation email with receipt of payment and further details about your booking. You will need to make arrangements for your flights and travel insurance. You will also need to organise the appropriate Visa for the country you are travelling to.

When processing your booking, you must agree to our terms and conditions which cover our booking policy, how we handle your personal information, cancellation policy, general conduct and behaviour and tour liability information. You can view our full Terms & Conditions page for our full T&C’s & Privacy Policy here.

We recommend you take your time to compare your flight options. GoTo cannot book flights for you, but we can help you search and compare the best airlines. For travellers in the UK we recommend reaching out to our partner Cyllenius Travel Services. Cyllenius Travel Services offer a fully flexible service from booking flights, accommodation (for those who prefer to book their own) and airport transfer. We also recommend searching for routes and prices via Skyscanner. Skyscanner is a leading global flight search company, providing free search and comparison of flights.

When you find the right flight for you, let us know via email or telephone and we can start the ball rolling with your booking.

Travel insurance is essential for all of our Group Tours, Experiences, Adventures and Tailored Packages – refer to our Booking Policy.

A travel insurance policy is important for your health and safety, unfortunate and unforeseen circumstances, and disruptions and emergencies. Levels of coverage can vary, and we recommend that you take the time to search and compare insurers to ensure you understand your policy and what you are covered for.

It is your responsibility to ensure you have the necessary travel documents for your trip, including valid passport and visa. The visa you choose will depend on the country you’re from, how long you’d like to stay in Australia and whether you plan to work here. If you are planning on working and travelling in Australia you will need to apply for a Working Holiday Visa (ages 18-35).


Yes, you need a visa to enter Australia. The visa you choose will depend on your country of origin, how long you would like to stay in Australia and whether you plan to work here. 

You can explore visas on the Department of Home Affairs website for Australian visa options to find out which visa suits you best. The website includes a ‘Find a Visa’ tool which provides you with visa options based on the information you provide. It is an easy-to-use tool that provides you with extensive information on visa options, including how to apply for a visa.

You can apply for most visas onlineYou first need to create an ImmiAccount 

No. You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The Department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by you if your visa application was finalised later than expected or unsuccessful.

Student Visa

Yes, you can still apply for it which means that you can travel to Australia once travel restrictions are lifted and borders re-open.

Undergraduate and coursework students: 

No, whilst you are studying online outside of Australia, you don’t not need a student visa. 

Graduate researchers: 

You need a valid visa and faculty approval to start your graduate research degree online unless you are enrolled in an international joint PhD and are studying at the international partner’s institution. 

In order to apply for a student visa, you have to meet various requirements, which include: 

  • Your health 
  • Your character 
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OHSC) 
  • No debts to the Commonwealth of Australia 
  • Accommodation, custody and general welfare arrangements if you are under 18 
  • Being able to cover costs for air fares, living costs and tuition fees (minimum living cost requirement is AUD$19,830 per year) 
  • Your qualifications and academic record completed 
  • English language proficiency 
  • Proving that you are a genuine temporary entrant

You also need a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from your education provider to apply for a student visa.  

Most students are allowed to bring their immediate family members to Australia. They are called dependents, and may include children under 18 and your partner (married/de facto). 

You need to declare all family members you want to bring with you to Australia on your visa application. 

A student visa application costs AUD $575. If you are brining eligible family members with you to Australia, additional costs apply. 

You can’t extend your visa, but you need to apply for a new student visa in order to remain in Australia to finish your course.  

You are allowed to work 40 hours a fortnight while you are studying and unlimited hours during semester breaks. No limit applies if you are studying a Masters degree by research or a PhD. It is important to note that you can’t start to work before your course has started. Once you have completed your course, you can work unrestricted hours. 

There is a temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders. You can find more information here.

Yes, you can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

Subclass 462, if you hold a passport from:
Argentina, Austria, Ecuador, Chile, China, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay, the USA and Vietnam.

Subclass 417, if you hold a passport from:
Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the UK.

It costs AUD $485. 

The processing times can vary. You might get a response within 2 weeks, but in some cases, it can take more than 40 days. 

You need to be 18 – 30 years old to apply for a WHV. If you hold a passport from Canada, France or Ireland, the age limit is 35. 

In order to apply for a WHV, you have to meet various requirements, which include: 

  • Financial evidence that proves you have enough funds to stay in Australia (around AUD $5,000) 
  • Health and character requirements 
  • In some cases a police certificate 

The first WHV lasts for 12 months. If you want to stay longer, you can apply for a second WHV if you complete regional or farm work for 3 months or 88 days and in some cases even for a third WHV. Find out more about the specific requirements and options to extend your stay for the Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).

Yes, you can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid. 


Apply for a TFN only on the official Australian Tax Office (ATO) website for free. Some other websites offer to do the application for you for a fee. Don’t use these services because they are expensive and you can easily do it yourself. You just need a valid passport and an Australian address, as it will be sent to you per mail.

In order to know how much you will be taxed, you first need to figure out your residency status. You are either considered non-resident or resident for tax purposes depending on your visa status. If you are on a working holiday visa (417 or 462), you are considered non-resident. If you are on a student visa (500), your residency status depends on the length of your stay. If you are staying in Australia for more than 6 months, you are considered a resident for tax purposes. If you are staying less than 6 months, you are considered non-resident. Take this test to find out your residency. You can find the tax rates on our blog.

Absolutely! You can find a detailed list of all expenses that you can claim here.

If you are considered resident for tax purposes, you are eligible to apply for a tax-free threshold. This means that you don’t pay taxes for the first $18,200 of your yearly income. However, if you are considered non-resident, you are not eligible for the tax-free threshold. If you have multiple jobs, you can only apply for the tax-free threshold at one employer. 

Yes, any backpacker that works in Australia and earns more than $45,000 in a tax year needs to file a tax return.

Please note if you are a self-employed or a freelancer that you are required by law to lodge a tax return. So, if you earn income under your own Australian Business Number (ABN), you must file a return at the end of the tax year.

You should always file a tax return to ensure that your tax affairs are in order. This is especially important if you wish to apply for another visa in Oz in the future.

What’s more, by filing your tax return, you are then eligible to claim your tax refund. So, why not file your return today to see if you are due to claim any tax back?!

The amount of tax you are entitled to claim back depends on each individual’s personal circumstances. It will depend on your overall gross income, tax withholding amounts and eligible expenses.

Many backpackers overpay tax in Australia and can claim a tax refund at the end of the tax year. The average refund a Taxback.com customer receives is $2,600 – find out what you’re owed today!


Super is short for Superannuation, an Australian retirement fund. If you work in Australia and earn $450 or more per month (before tax), your employer has to pay a value of 10% of your gross salary into your superannuation fund, regardless your residency and visa status.

You can set up your own fund, for example when you open a bank account, or you can let your employer set up a fund on your behalf.

There are five types of funds:

  • Industry funds 
  • Retail funds 
  • Public sector funds 
  • Corporate funds 
  • Self-managed super funds (SMSFs) 

All funds provide different investment options, some with lower and some with higher investment risks. Therefore, you should compare different funds if you want to receive the highest possible earnings on your funds.  

You can find more information here on how to choose a super fund. 

  • You must have held an Australian Temporary Resident Visa (except subclasses 405 and 410).
  • You must show that your Australian Temporary Resident Visa has expired or has been cancelled.  
  • You must have left Australia. 
  • You must not be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or a permanent Australian resident. If you are moving to New Zealand, you may be able to transfer your super using the New Zealand KiwiSaver scheme.  

You can still come back to Australia on another visa. However, you should only claim your super if you are really sure that you will not work or live in Australia anymore. If you have claimed your super and later apply for a permanent visa, this could have a negative impact on your application.  

The usual process time is 28 days to 12 weeks. If more documentation is required, for example if you have more than $5,000 in your fund, it may take longer.  

It is easiest to ask your employer. Otherwise, you can track down your superannuation by contacting the ATO.

You are still able to claim your super, if you have worked in Australia at any time after 1994. After 6 months, your super will be transferred to the ATO, so you will need to contact ATO directly to claim your super. 

Yes, if you are a working holiday maker (417 and 462), your refund will be taxed at 65%. However, it is still recommended to claim your super as most working holiday makers receive a refund of around $2,000. 

If you are on another visa, including a student visa (500), your refund will be taxed at 35%.  

Yes. You can claim your Departing Australia Superannuation Payment when you have left Australia and your visa has expired. Taxback.com can help you claim your superannuation refund.


If you have an unrestricted licence and are staying for less than three months, you can use your country’s licence to drive and hire cars (six months in Victoria). As long as your licence is in English. If not, you’ll need to obtain an International Drivers Permit (IDP) or a formal translation of your licence before you leave your home country. If your licence does not contain a photo, carry your passport with youFor anyone wishing to stay longer than three months, you’ll need to obtain an Australian drivers licence in the state you’re residing in. Depending on your visa status, you may be able to hold off on applying for an Australian licence for longer. If you are in NSW, you can drive with your licence from home as long as you are a temporary visitor and your licence remains current (this can even be years). However, if you have a permanent visa, you need to get an Australian licence after three months. The easiest way to find out is to read the guidelines specific to each state.  

It is mainly all selfservice and pay at the counter. Check your fuel gauge for an arrow, which will point to the direction of the pump. Due to the vast distances between places, especially in rural areas, keep in mind the range you have before the next petrol station and maintain a full tank on long trips. Many service stations close overnight and in some areas you might have to travel a long distance to get to the next service stationso be sure to plan ahead. 

You need to be over 21 and hold a full drivers licence. Having an international driver’s permit will make things easier. Drivers under 24 will need to pay an excess for insurance, this can be costly so consider having someone older to rent the car. Always get a high level of insurance and pay for extra if you need to. Skipping this may save you costs but in the event of an accident, you may be liable to pay the full repair costs for both vehicles and potentially even medical bills! Only let those who are listed on the cover drive, otherwise your insurance is automatically void! Don’t sign before you’ve read the contractCar rentals are notorious for secret charges and unnecessary extras.  

The best way to see Australia is travelling by car. However, you can also travel Australia by bus. Greyhound is Australia’s largest coach network. 

Places to purchase secondhand vehicles are Gumtree, Carsales and Facebook marketplace. Always be careful and take the necessary precautions when inspecting and buying cars. 

Consider where and how you will be travelling. Will you be camping? Going off road? Other considerations are fuel economy, safety readings and accessories. 

  • Car – For short road trips, Cheapest purchase & low fuel consumption
  • Camper Van – For long road trips, Home on wheels: Save costs on accommodation
  • 4WD – Go off road, Drive on beaches

Check out this guide to find out what to check before you buy a car. 

Check for 3 things: a certificate to prove its roadworthiness (every state will require one in some shape or form, for example “Pinkslip” in NSW), registration papers (known as ‘rego’) and purchase / service history. 

Each state has specific laws. 

For more detailed information head to the laws and processes for each state linked below. 


Stay calm and park on the side of the road if possible, so you don’t block other cars. If you are in an accident with another vehicle, first check that no one is hurt. Call 000 if someone is hurt. Report the accident to the police, unless it is minor. The police will tell you what to do. You also need to contact your insurance company immediately. 

Write down all details of the other driver and witnesses (names and addresses) and all vehicle details (plate number, brand and model), and take a lot of photos of the vehicles and damage. 

Head to our blog post to find out everything you need to know about driving in Australia.